Tuesday, May 17, 2011

These Are the Days, The Time is Now

There is no past, there's only future. There's only here, there's only now. --Van Morrison

Everyone has a time in their life when they have to face something that they aren't sure how to survive. We've all got our stuff: the tragedies, the losses, the battles. I know that everyone is out there trying to figure out how to make the most of today and get over yesterday. We all want to know how to fall asleep fast and easy when we hit the pillow tonight.

And I sit in this moment, the one in front of me, and realize that I have everything and everyone that I need, and more importantly, so does this little boy. Swinging on the porch, fists hugging the ropes, eyes alight with excitement. His time is now; this is his day. These are the moments that are quickly forming his sense of being loved and secure, and I can't bear to waste this moment with him picking at what I would change about this world if only I could. I take a deep breath, sit back in my chair, and give him another push, listening to his little laugh and watching his chubby little legs kick in the afternoon sun. There is time to grieve, but right now, this life is more than fine. It's really, really good.

1 comment: