Friday, July 8, 2011

Marital Bliss Times Five

From the beginning he put me first. We are a team. 

 He is hilarious. Every so often he will say something when the room has fallen quiet that sets us all laughing. Especially at home, he is always cracking me up. He has a special talent for poking fun at the wife, I think that's where he gets his best material.

copyright Apps Photography

copyright Apps Photography
He likes to cuddle with me even though he says I'm like a heater. The only part of him that ever gets cold are his feet.

He says the best part of being a Dad is the cuddling. He likes to take naps with Ben on the couch.


 I love that he had details he wanted when it came to our wedding. He wanted me in a big white dress, he wanted a veil. See more about that in my big wedding post.

I love that he chose the song for our first dance as husband and wife. We didn't have a song that was significant to us when we were dating. Broken Road by Rascal Flatts came on the radio one night as he was heading home from work and he said it made him think of us.
I love travelling with him. I just love that he always remembers things that I forget, and has a talent for noticing details and checking things in advance. He just makes everything that much easier. We both like the same kind of travel- a little bit of planning and a lot of flexibility. Scotland and Ireland, that was an epic adventure. We had such a great time together and saw so much. In addition to being crazy for each other, we truly are great friends.

Fourth of July in DC can't be beat. I love that we were both as excited as a couple of fifth graders to be up on a roof in DC watching fireworks. There was even ice cream! Ryan Yates may as well have been a movie star, the doors he was opening for us that night. So much fun.

Plus, I love that before we had kids, and we would stay with friends- he would play with their kids, and jumps in to help. He will read to them, help them get their shoes on, play made-up games with them, whatever.
copyright Dan Shaw Photography

I love that we have a system for shutting down the house when we go to bed. Hehe, yes, really. There are a sequence of lights that are turned on and off in a particular order, doors locked, things gathered. If he is first into the bedroom he never remembers to turn on his lamp, but that's alright. It's pretty ridiculous that we go climb in bed together at the same exact time and wait for the other person to finish what they are working on so we can turn out the lights and cuddle up together, too. I love it, it's cute.

Getting pregnant- now that was a challenge. I am so proud of us for getting through that with very little strain on our relationship. It's a heavy thing to go through and I know there are strong bonds out there that have been battered and broken by infertility. It was tough but it made us stronger and ultimately, happier. We learned a lot from that journey and Ben is such a sweet reward.

copyright Dan Shaw Photography
I love that he sings to our baby.

I love that he takes care of the cats and gives them medicine when they need it.

I love that he can take care of Ben for an entire weekend with no fear if needed.

I love that I can tell him absolutely anything. Anything.


Happy Anniversary, Babe. Five more seems easy. A lifetime doesn't sound long enough.

This is our happily ever after.

copyright Dan Shaw Photography

2 comments:

  1. Ok, so I'm about to cry at work!!! I love you guys - congrats, and here's to another blissful five years :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you guys danced to that song at your wedding. I still get teary eyed thinking of you guys everytime I hear it on the radio!! Congrats you two!

    ReplyDelete